Saturday, August 3, 2013

London - University of East Anglia

My flight arrived in at 7 am this morning but our group wasn't scheduled to meet up until 12:30.  I tried to tough it out  but decided to experience a capsule hotel and catch a few hours of rest. I was able to book a room at Yotel inside Terminal 4. I was highly impressed. Not only did I catch up on a few hours of sleep but the room was equipped with just about anything I could have wanted, all in a teeny tiny space. Think camper crossed with space shuttle. A 4 hour block of time was well worth the 33 pounds I paid. I highly recommend you try it out if given the opportunity. Below is a photo so you can get a better idea of what the capsule looks like:



Midday I met up with the group and started getting to know my cohort. They are a wonderful group of people with open minds, adventurous spirits and really interesting stories. We had a 3 hour bus ride from London to Norwich where we checked in at the University of East Anglia. I don't think any of us were able to stay awake for the ride.



We arrived on campus and checked into our accomodation. After a brief break to shower and sort ourselves out we had a student-led tour of campus. The campus has a very residential feel with beautiful green space and lots of rabbits! It seems like the kind of place that would feel comfortable for a student from the Midwest. I was particularly interested to learn about the leadership roles their students take on in running the student center and various societies/clubs. I plan to ask more about how it all works, as it seems much of the programming is student managed and operated. I am facinated by the potential this model presents. Tomorrow we will go more in-depth as we learn about the university. After a great dinner and dessert we were all eager to return to our rooms and get real sleep in a normal bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment